Benjamin Anderschou Holbech Jensen
Blegdamsvej 3B, 2200 København N
- 2016: PhD in Molecular Biomedicine, Thesis Title: Insulin Resistance: A Fine-Tuned Interplay Between Diet, Intestinal Microbes and Immunity; Faculty of Science, University of Copenhagen
- 2013: MSc. Biochemistry, Major in Immunology, Thesis Title: Restoring Immune Competence in the Tumor Microenvironment; University of Copenhagen, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
- 2012: Diploma of Engineering in Biotechnology, Process Technology and Chemistry, Thesis title: Adenoviral vaccine vectors: Vector-encoded Interleukin-2, co-expressed alongside relevant antigen, proves to enhance the durability of Ag-specific T-cells; University of Southern Denmark
- 2007: Laboratory Technician
- 1999: Zookeeper
- 2023-present: Tenured Associate Professor gr. Leader, Nutritional Immunology, Jensen Group, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen.
- 2022-present: CSO, Mycobiotix Inc., Colorado, US.
- 2021-present: CSO, Defensin Therapeutics ApS, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- 2019-present: Cofounder and CEO, Aesculus Bio ApS, Copenhagen, Denmark.
Most relevant previous positions
- 2021-2023: Assistant Professor gr. Leader, Nutritional Immunology, Jensen Group, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen.
- 2020-2021: International Researcher and postdoc, Section of Human Genomics and Metagenomics in Metabolism, Novo Nordisk Foundation, Center for Basic Metabolic Research, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- 2017-2020: Postdoc at the Phizer Research Chair ‘Pathogenesis of Insulin Resistance and Cardiometablic Complication’, Heart and Lung Institute, Axis of Cardiology, Faculty of Medicine, Laval University, Canada
- 2017-2021: Project Director, Heading a probiotic research project shared between University of Laval, Canada, and Novozymes A/S, One Health, Venture Team for Metabolic Health, Denmark
- 2016-2017: Postdoc, Laboratory of Genomics and Molecular Biomedicine, Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- 2015-2021: Scientific advisor. Defensin Therapeutics ApS, Denmark.
- 2013-2016: PhD student, Laboratory of Genomics and Molecular Biomedicine, Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- 2011-2013: Research Assistant, Laboratories of Infectious Immunology and Experimental Virology, Department of International Health, Immunology and Microbiology, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- 2006-2011: Laboratory Technician, Laboratories of Infectious Immunology and Experimental Virology, Department of International Health, Immunology and Microbiology, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Academic awards and honors
- 2022: Scientific advisor to the International Life Sciences Institute (ILSI), Europe, Probiotic Task Force
- 2021: Emerging Excellence Investigator award, Novo Nordisk Foundation
- 2021: Chairman of ILSI, Europe, Probiotic Task Force’s Expert Group on ‘Mapping of Probiotics and their Activities in the Small Intestine Compared to the Colon’.
- 2021: Nominated to “Scientific Discovery of the Year”, magazine Québec Science, Canada.
- 2021: Shared 1st authored study, Type 2 diabetes influences bacterial tissue compartmentalisation in human obesity, Featured as #BestofNatMetab2020, #6th most cited in Nature Metabolism, 2020.
- 2020: Shared 1st authored study, Type 2 diabetes influences bacterial tissue compartmentalisation in human obesity, Featured on the frontpage of Nature Metabolism, March 2020
- 2018: Postdoc Fellowship for research abroad, Endocrinology and Metabolism, Novo Nordisk Foundation
- 2017: Postdoc Fellowship for research abroad, Lundbeck Foundation
Leadership, Supervision and Teaching experiences:
Extensive experience within academia, biotech and project development (leading several international cross-sectional collaborations); Co-inventor of two issued patents, 1 owned by Novozymes A/S and 1 jointly owned by UCPH and Oslo University, the latter patent with a signed license agreement for the American market; Cofounder and CEO of Aesculus Bio ApS; Main supervisor for 3 postdocs (1 industrial), 1 PhD student (3 as co-supervisor), several master and bachelor students, and hosted PhD interns from international collaborators; Lectured at both bachelor's, master’s and PhD classes within gastrointestinal (GI) physiology, pathology and pharmacology, blood diseases, and host-microbe-diet interactins; Course director of GI Physiology (Med. Students, UCPH); Completed courses in PhD Supervision, Research Management and Leaderships as well as Teaching at Higher Educations. Positive Supervisor Evaluation by ERC, during a postdoc’s MSCA application: ”The quality of the supervisor, especially for a relatively early-career PI, is excellent. The quality is further enhanced by the supervisor's strong expertise in the industry.” Part of the assessment committees for Bridge-Excellence Postdoc Fellowships 2022, and Canadian Insittute of Heath Research's (CIHR) fronstiers program, 2022/2023, and international PhD defences. Ad hoc revier for more than 25 journals.