Taenia hydatigena cysticercosis in slaughtered pigs, goats, and sheep in Tanzania
Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskrift › Tidsskriftartikel › Forskning › fagfællebedømt
Few studies have been carried out in Africa toestimate the prevalence of Taeniahydatigena. With theaim to determine theprevalence of T. hydatigena inslaughtered pigs and small ruminants (goats and sheep) in Mbeya, Tanzania, two cross-sectional surveys were carried out investigating pigs in Aprilto May 2014 and small ruminants in September 2012. In total, 243 pigs were examined post-mortem for T. hydatigena cysts which were found in 16 (6.6%) pigs. The majority(80%) of cysts were found on the omentum and the rest on the liver (20%), allon the visceral surface. Two pigs were also found infected with T. solium, but showed no signs of otherinfections. A total of 392 goats and 27 sheep were examined post-mortem and theprevalence of T. hydatigena wassimilar in goats and sheep with 45.7% and 51.9%, respectively. DNA sequencing of the mitochondrial cytochrome c oxidase subunit 1 gene (cox1) from a subsample of metacestodesfrom goats and sheep confirmed the T. hydatigena infection. Theprevalence found in small ruminants was comparable to other studies conductedin Africa, but for pigs it is one of the highest recorded to date. The presentstudy also confirms the occurrence of T.hydatigena and T. solium in pigsfrom Mbeya. Further studies are needed to determine the impact of T. hydatigena on production undersub-Saharan conditions and the financial consequences for smallholder farmers.
|Tidsskrift||Tropical Animal Health and Production|
|Status||Udgivet - dec. 2015|