Morten Agertoug Nielsen
Blegdamsvej 3, 2200 København N., Bygning: 07-11-55
2004 PhD at Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen;
2001 Master's degree in Biology at Department of Infectious Diseases at Copenhagen University Hospital;
1993 A-Levels Vordingborg Gymnasium 1993
Associate Professor in Malaria Parasite Adhesion Biology, Institute of Immunology and Microbiology. University of Copenhagen since July 2014.
Jan. 2008-Jul 2014: Associate Professor at the Institute for International Health, Immunology and Microbiology.
Dec. 2005 - Dec 2007: Post Doc grant from HS, Department of Infectious Diseases at Copenhagen University Hospital (Rigshospitalet)).
Nov. 2004.-Nov. 2005: Scientific assistant at Department of Infectious Diseases at Copenhagen University Hospital (Rigshospitalet).
Sept. 2001-Oct. 2004 Phd Student at Faculty of Health Sciences at Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology
Involvement in international research :
- Clinical development of a VAR2CSA-based placental malaria vaccine, FP7-HEALTH-2012-INNOVATION, total budget 6 million Euro (2013-2016).
- Post Doc grant from Rigshospitalet (3 years).
- Ph.D. grant from Faculty of Health Sciences UCPH.
- Development of malaria vaccines, Danida, Budget 10 million Dkk (2013-2015).
- Development and pre-clinical safety assessment of a placental malaria vaccine, Advanced Technology Foundation, Budget 15 million Dkk (2012-2014).
- Defining a VAR2CSA based immunogen eliciting parasite adhesion blocking antibodies, the Gates Consortium. Budget 740000 Euro (2007-2010).
- Expressing VAR2CSA antigens in Tetrahymena host cells, STREP EU FP6, Budget 250000 Euro, (2008-2010).
- Defining what part of VAR2CSA interacts with the receptor in the placenta, EU FP7, Budget 330000 Euro (2007-2010).
- Elucidating the quaternary structure of VAR2CSA, program of Excellence, budget 2500000 Euro (2008-2012).
- Quantifying the effects of malaria during pregnancy and the naturally acquired immunity towards malaria during pregnancy, budget 420000 Euro (2008-2011).
Public: Danish Broadcast Corporation (DR) Radio Program 1 News, Radio Program 1 Morning show, Radio Program 3 Morning Show. Invited oral presentations: British Society for Parasitology Malaria and Spring Meeting, Nottingham UK 2011. British Society for Parasitology Malaria and Spring Meeting, Nottingham, UK 2005. British Society for Parasitology Malaria and Spring Meeting, Chester, UK, 2004. Other conference presentations: 5th FAIS International Congress, Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, 2003. British Society for Parasitology Malaria Meeting, Manchester, UK 2003. Danish Society for Parasitology - Spring symposium, 2002. Induction and maintenance of the immune response to infection. Elsinore, Denmark, 2002. 12th Malaria Meeting of the British Society for Parasitology, Leeds, UK, 2001
Part-owner & -co-founder of VAR2 Pharmaceuticals.
Since 2005 I have been the supervisor of 7 master and 6 PhD students. Laboratory manager for the cell-biology laboratories at Centre for Medical Parasitology (CMP), this entails both administrative issues with regards to usage of equipment & space, waste handling and contact to external technical persons, responsible for isotope usage at CMP, but also human resource management, and recruitment and participation in multiple job interviews for TAP and VIP. Organizing the establishment and preparation for classification of new class I and class II laboratories at CSS 2008. Conscription at The Royal Artillery Regiment, 1st Airforce missile battery, 13th Airforce missile Department (Nov. 1993 - June 1994).
PhD, Cand Scient Biologi