Professor MSO, Klinisk lektor, Professor
Jagtvej 160, 2100 KÃÂ¸benhavn ÃÂ
2200 København N.
- Afdeling for Øjensygdomme (Department of Ophthalmology), Rigshospitalet, Valdemar Hansens Vej 1-23, 2600 Glostrup
- Institut for Lægemiddeldesign og Farmakologi (Department of Drug Design and Pharmacology), Universitetsparken 2, 2100 Copenhagen
positions and trusted postures
- Professor in Translational Eye Research at University of Copenhagen (UCPH)
- Chief Physician (glaucoma specialist) at the Copenhagen University Hospital (Rigshospitalet)
- Fellow of the European Board of Ophthalmology, Glaucoma (FEBOS-GL)
- President of the Danish Glaucoma Society
- Board member of Fight for Sight, Denmark
- Elected glaucoma chair European Association for Vision and Eye Research, EVER
- Elected member of board of directors Acta Ophthalmologica
- Elected member of Associate Advisory Board (AAB), World Glaucoma Association
- Co-Chair of neuroprotection special interest group, European Glaucoma Society (EGS)
- Part of the management team at Dept. of Drug Design and Pharmacology (DDP), UCPH
- Member of the research strategy committee, Dept. of Ophthalmology, Rigshospitalet
- Head of Research Cluster for Personalised Medicine, DDP, UCPH
- Head of Research Group, Eye Translational Research Unit, EyeTRU, UCPH
- National and international coordinator of multicenter studies within glaucoma disease research.
- Jury member of funding applications from national research council's (Belgium and Canada) and several other national and international foundations
- Board Member of Carl and Nicoline Larsen’s Foundation
- Member of assessment committee and chair of committees for the appointment of assistant, associate, and full professors
- Editorial board member (e.g. Molecular Neurobiol., Cell. and Mol. Neurobiol., Acta Ophthal.)
- Director of glaucoma in the Region of Zealand (2014-2017).
- Head of Section at the Dept. of Drug Design and Pharmacology, UCPH (2018-2019).
- Medical Doctor degree, University of Copenhagen.
- Fulbright Scholar, Louisiana State University (LSU), Neuroscience Center, US
- PhD from LSU, Neuroscience Center and Dept. of Ophthalmology, US.
- Postdoctoral Fellowships at Louisiana State University, Neuroscience Center, US.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship at UCPH, Dept. of Ocular Pathology.
- Medical Internships in surgery, emergency medicine, and ophthalmology in the Region of Copenhagen.
- Residency in Ophthalmology in the Region of Copenhagen.
- Fellowship in Glaucoma at the Copenhagen University Hospital.
- Clinical exchanges in glaucoma in US (New York, Sacramento), Belgium (Leuven), India (Madurai)
- More courses in pedagogy
- Fellow of the EuropeanBoard of Ophthalmology, Glaucoma
- Several leadership and management courses
Selected awards, honors and recognitions
- Top 1% of scholars writing about Glaucoma, Expertscape's PubMed-based algorithms
- On the Ophthalmologist's Power List, 2021
- Received the largest grant to date from the Synoptik Foundation
- Lions prize, 2018
- Award of Excellence from the Danish Ophthalmological Society, 2018
- Medivit Award, 2014 and 2016
- Victor Larsens Award, 2006
- Fulbright Scholar, 1995
- Awarded research funding of >25 million DKK (>3.3 mill EUR)
- Invited speaker, hereunder keynotes and honorary, at more than 80 scientific meetings
project management, guidance and academic results
- I head translational research projects within the field of neurodegenerative eye diseases
- I am national coordinator of clinical multicenter studies within glaucoma
- I have successfully supervised 5 postdocs, 5 PhD students (3 as main supervisor), 3 research assistants, 21 master students, 16 scholar students, and 19 bachelor students
- I currently supervise 10 PhD students (8 as main supervisor, 2 as co-supervisor), 3 master students, 1 bachelor student
- I have more than 100 peer-reviewed papers,10 editorial reviews, 22 popular science papers, and 7 book chapters.
My involvement in the field of medicine and key research areas
- I direct course work for medical students, residents in ophthalmology, and pharmacy students
- I consult eye patients, including medical treatment, laser treatments and glaucoma surgeries
- I organize seminars, conferences, and public events to facilitate collaborations and community outreach activities
- I have several leadership roles and continuously try to create a transparent, trustworthy, and authentic work environment with motivated students, coworkers, and staff
- I function as an opinion leader and as an external advisor to the pharma industry
- I am national coordinator/principal investigator of more industry-sponsored clinical trials
- I am engaged in outreach activities to improve treatment and diagnostic strategies for patients
This is an abbreviated resume of my full CV - full CV available upon request.
Professor in Translational Eye Research, Institut for Lægemiddeldesign og Farmakologi, Københavns Universitet