Nørre Allé 20, 2200 København N
2007: Certified as specialist in Clinical Immunology
1998: Ph.D., University of Southern Denmark
1993: Master of Science in Experimental Biology, University of Southern Denmark
1991: Doctor of Medicine, University of Southern Denmark
1991: Authorization as physician
2001: Authorization for independent practice as physician
2015-present: Professor in Immunopathology of Human Biofilm-related diseases, University of Copenhagen, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
2008-present: Consultant physician (overlæge) and Head of Institute for Inflammation research, Copenhagen University Hospital, Rigshospitalet
2007-2008: Staff specialist (afdelingslæge) at Dept. of Clinical Immunology, section 7631, Copenhagen University Hospital
2005-2007: Specialist Registrar (1. Reservelæge) at Copenhagen University Hospital and Herlev University Hospital
2004-2014: Associate professor at Copenhagen University, Institute for Medical Microbiology and Immunology
2003-2005: Senior House Officer at Copenhagen University Hospital, Rigshospitalet
2002-2003: Senior fellow researcher for The Danish Rheumatism Association at Institute for Inflammation Research, Copenhagen University Hospital, Rigshospitalet.
2001-2002: House Officer (reservelæge) at Odense University Hospital and Copenhagen
2000-2001: Assistant professor, University of Southern Denmark and Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U430, Hôpital Broussais, (INSERM), Paris
1998-2000: Post doc. at Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U430, Hôpital Broussais, (INSERM), Paris, France, and University of Southern Denmark.
1997-1998: House officer (turnuskandidat) at Nyborg Hospital and at Bellinge General Medical Practitioners, Odense University hospital
1993-1993: Associate professor at the University of Southern Denmark
1994-1996: Ph.D.-student at Dept. of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of Southern Denmark
1991-1992: Fellow research assistant, Dept. of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of Southern Denmark
1999-2000: Post. doc. fellowship at the Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U430, Hôpital Broussais, (INSERM), Paris, France. 10 months.
1982: Volunteer at High Royds Hospital, Menston, West Yorkshire, England, 6 months
Ad hoc teaching:
Since 1983: Numerous teaching jobs at universities, nurse schools, University of Southern Denmark, Odense Nurse School, the ‘Folkeuniversitet’ of Odense, public schools etc.
Arranger of “Kroppens immunforsvar” (Folkeuniversitetet Odense, 1994), Advanced Immunology for MSc students (SDU 1993-96), Immunology and Transfusion Medcine for nurse students (1993-96), Immunology for dentist students (University of Copenhagen, 2015-present), Monitoring of Biological Drugs (Sundhedsstyrelsen, 2014 & 2017)
2015-2019: Co-founder and owner at mAbSolution IS
2006-2007: Consultant for Biomonitor Aps, Copenhagen.
2005-2008: Consultant and member of the Medical Advisory Board for Nordic Phytopharm A/S, Havdrup, Denmark.
2004-2008: Consultant and member of the Medical Advisory Board for 2C Engineering, Lyngby, Denmark
Publications and research communication:
- 140 original papers, 12 international review papers, 9 review papers in Danish
- 3 letters in New England Journal of Medicine
- 4 book chapters, 1 textbook chapter and 1 full textbook in Immunology
- 4 patent applications
Other dissemination of knowledge:
- Author of the textbook ”Immunology” by Ralf Agger, Claus H. Nielsen, Graham Leslie and Bent Aasted. Munksgaard, Denmark. September 2011
- Author of the chapter ”The Immue System and the Medical Patient“
- Arranger and lecturer of Immunology courses at the People’s University.
- TV programme. “Sundhedsmagasinet”, DR1 2016
- TV programme. “Undskyld mine gener”, at DR2 2018
Awards and stipends:
2006: Award from Aage and Edith Dyssegaard’s Foundation
2002: Senior fellowship from the Danish Rheumatism Association
1998: Research fellowship from Odense University for studies abroad
1991: Introduction fellowship from Odense University
1985-1991: Peter and Emma Thomsen’s Foundation stipend for 5 consecutive years.
2019-present: Member of the steering group of the CAG Greater Copenhagen Research Centre For Systemic Low-Grade Inflammation (LOGINFLAM)
2018- present: Chairman of the National Council for Monitoring of Biologic Treatment under the Danish Society for Clinical Immunology
2013- present: Board Member of the Danish Society for Immunology.
Denmark April 14th- Member of the organizing committee of the Scandinavian Society for Immunology Meeting in Copenhagen 17th 2013.
Teaching and supervision:
- Main supervisor for 2 PhD students, project supervisor and de facto primary supervisor for 5 PhD-students, co-supervisor for 8 PhD students.
- Main supervisor for 14 MSc students and 1 student of Dentistry, and 23 bachelor students.
- 30 years’ experience with teaching of immunology and cell biology at the university level - hereof 12 years as teacher at the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, Copenhagen University.
Research management and administrative experience:
Since 2008 head and administrator of the Institute for Inflammation Research, Rigshospitalet, employing 2 postdocs, 5 PhD students, 3 MSc students, and 2 technical assistants
Leadership courses attained:
2013: “Research Management Course” arranged by Copenhagen Business School
2016: “Management of Research” arranged by Region Hovedstaden
2019: “Leading Research – a leadership course” arranged by University of Copenhagen
Peer review assignments:
Ad hoc peer reviewer for more than 15 journals, including Eur. J. Immunol., Arthritis & Rheumatism, PloS One, Clin. Immunol., Clin. Endocrinol., Ann. Rheum. Dis., Scand. J. Immunol., Clinical Med., J Clin Endocrinol Metab., Int. Immunol., Eur. J. Haematol., APMIS, Acta Odontologica Scandinavia, Immunopharm. Immunotox.
Opposition and censorship:
- Official opponent at 6 PhD dissertations,
- Censor at 25 MSc dissertations, 26 research year dissertations of medical students, and 26 bachelor dissertations.
- Member of the official censor board for Medicine
- Member of the official censor board for Medicine
- Interplay between chronic inflammatory diseases
- Autoimmune diseases
- Cancer Immunology
- Biopharmaceuticals and disease-modifying anti-inflammatory drugs
- B-lymphocyte biology (B cells as antigen-presenting cells, regulatory B cells, complement activation by B cells)
- Natural and disease-associated autoantibodies
Native Danish, proficient in English, mediocre in French, mediocre in German