Lektor, ph.d. (pharm.)
- Institut for Lægemiddeldesign og Farmakologi, Natural Products Research
Jagtvej 162, Lokale 038
2100 2100 København Ø
Telefon (Sekretariat): +4535324200
Born: 7 September 1966
Family: one son, Peter, born 26 September 1998.
- M.Pharm., The Royal Danish School of Pharmacy, Copenhagen, 1991.
- Ph.D (Pharmacy), The Royal Danish School of Pharmacy, Copenhagen, 1993.
- 1993 - 95 Post-Doctoral researcher at the Department of Botany, University of Natal Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
- 1995 - 98 Researcher at the Department of Botany, University of Natal Pietermaritzburg, South Africa.
- 1996 - 98 Part-time lecturer at the Department of Botany, University of Natal Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
- 1998 Maternity leave (3 months)
- 1999 - 02 Senior lecturer at the School of Botany and Zoology, University of Natal Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
- 01.03.02 - Associate Professor, Pharmacognosy, University of Copenhagen
- May 2010 - Head, Natural Products Research
Director of NaturMedicinsk Museum
- President - International Society for Ethnopharmacology
- Board Member - Phytochemical Society of Europe
- Global Health Minders - think tank
- Board Member - Farmacihistorisk Fund
- Editor - South African Journal of Botany
- Editorial Board Member - Journal of Ethnopharmacology; Plants; Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology; Medicinal & Aromatic Plants
Awarded the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences Dissemination Prize 2009
Ethnopharmacology - investigating pharmacological activities of medicinal plants based on usage in traditional medicine.
During my years in South Africa I saw how important traditional medicine is. Working with traditional healers has given me a rare insight into and understanding of African traditional medicine. It is my aim to deliver evidence-based herbal medicine, to find out what works in a scientific manner, so the treatment methods can become more effective and safe.
Scientific evidence for efficacy and safety of herbal medicines is the cornerstone for improved therapy. We investigate herbal remedies for sale in Denmark as well as traditional medicines from different parts of the world.
In the PEOPLE AND PLANT MEDICINE programme target species are screened for pharmacological activities. Promising extracts are subjected to bioassay guided fractionation and structure elucidation of active compounds.